Who We Help
> The 308 pupils of the Milestone Special School in Gloucester.
- The Milestone is one of the largest special schools in the country with 308 pupils aged between 2 and 16 years, all with severe and complex special needs and drawn from the whole of Gloucestershire. The School has been rated as ‘Outstanding in All Areas’, by Ofsted in its last three inspections.
- The pupils’ medical issues include cerebral palsy, severe genetic conditions, neuromuscular disorders, hearing loss and visual impairment. Many children have additional nursing needs, such as feeding difficulties requiring gastrostomy tube feeding or severe epilepsy requiring control of acute seizures. 67 children are non-ambulant wheelchair users.
- Other pupils may be physically fit but have severe autism, poor communication skills, learning disability or challenging behaviour.
- The School has a happy and positive environment, striving for pupils to achieve the best education whilst having fun and building strong friendships and skills for the future.
> People in the community with additional needs including:
- Young people attending mainstream school requiring hydrotherapy, including those with with painful and disabling conditions such as juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, neuromuscular and genetic conditions.
- Young people in the community with learning difficulty and poor communication skills who require support to access activities such as multi ability rugby
- Young people who aspire to excellence in para-athletics and adapted sports
- Adults with severe arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, recent joint surgery or chronic pain, who can be helped by hydrotherapy
- Adults with painful and disabling neuromuscular disorders, multiple sclerosis, motor neurone disease or recent stroke.
- People from the local community who would like to access the café and atrium, including those with complex additional needs.
- Young people requiring work experience, apprenticeships and employment opportunities, which the Chamwell Centre can offer.
- Families of those accessing the Centre, through social contacts and courses to address specific needs.
Help us reach our target
We now need your help to raise funds to bring Chamwell’s wonderful resources to all who need it.
Out target for Year 1 £230k
is our target
- 1% 1%
- 1% 1%